Playing Hooky Can Be a Good Thing
Donna Sapolin, the founding editor of Next Avenue, believes that there are benefits to playing hooky from work every now and then. Sapolin, who previously ran a virtual content operation, believes there is an invaluable benefit to being free to work from where you want, when you want. Along with this general claim, Sapolin believes that playing hooky, defined as judiciously using traditional work hours in a single day to do enjoyable things that allow you to decompress, has its benefits. Here are 5 reasons why.
1. Catch up on rest. Most of us are sleep deprived, and a day with no work can provide the time to heal and nurture our bodies. Whether you choose to exercise and catch up on sleep, or simply just lounge around and recharge, catching up on rest can be a great way to boost your productivity in the workplace.
2. Meet with a friend or family member. There are people in our lives who inherently make us happy. Unfortunately, we don't usually get to see these people as much as we would like to. Take some time, preferably a day playing hooky, to catch up with one of these people. The satisfaction from doing so will surely improve your performance on the work stage.
3. Investigate a new hobby. Trying new things is healthy. Breaking the routine that binds our everyday lives is a good way to rejuvenate ourselves, and provide a fresh spark to life. Maybe you will meet someone special, or discover a hidden talent. You'll never know until you try!
4. Go for a long walk. The goal here is not so much to exercise, but to enjoy the beauty of being outside. The vast majority of us work indoors, so spending a good amount of time outside can be a pleasant break from computer screens and ringing phones. Observe your surroundings, breath deeply, and unwind.
5. Go to a concert. All the hard work you put in requires a little play every now and then. Live music can be a reviving experience. So call a friend and get some tickets to the show. While working on your usual tasks tomorrow, you'll be glad you did.