5 Ways to Meditate Efficiently and Boost Productivity
At first it sounds like an oxymoron -- meditate efficiently -- but for some professionals, it's the only way they can add this Eastern tradition to an already-packed workday. Meditation boosts productivity in several ways: it decreases stress, boosts brain activity, regulates emotions, and enhances learning and memory.
To meditate efficiently, establish a regular routine to train your brain to calm down on demand. During a mini-meditation session, focus on your breathing, which should be deep, slow, controlled and from your diaphragm. Rid your mind of all thoughts. Envision a peaceful place, like a white room or a barren beach.
After creating your mini-meditation routine, try these ways to meditate efficiently.
- Take 5 minutes at the top of each hour and escape to a quiet area without mobile phones or computers. (Empty conference rooms, offices, stairwells and breakrooms are ideal spots if you don't have an office with a door.)
- Meditate for 10 minutes as soon as you wake up and before you go to sleep.
- At your desk, periodically close your eyes, rid your mind of all thoughts, and focus on the present moment. Light a candle in the morning to help you remember to meditate.
- Practice walking meditation -- even while en route to the bathroom, your car, the break room or another mundane location.
- Add a 10-minute meditation session to the end of your lunch break to mentally prepare for the second half of your workday.
As you become accustomed to meditating, try to work longer, more isolated sessions into your day. What strategies do you use to meditate efficiently? Do you find that meditation boosts your productivity?