5 Surefire Ways to Cure a Case of the F*ck-Its
Every now and then, I have what can only be called a case of the f*ck-its. I'm unable and unwilling to focus, my motivation and energy are at all-time lows, and I have no willpower at all to be productive. Here are five ways I cure this productivity-killing disorder and remain Ridiculously Efficient.
- Unplug and go outside. If I have the flexibility in my workday, I'll complete all essential tasks and then take the rest of the day off. Other days, I can only afford an hour or so. Either way, I head outside -- ideally somewhere picturesque with not too much foot traffic -- and, depending on energy levels, take a walk or sit in the sun. I let my mind wander and avoid all thoughts about work.
- Do something fun. I'm an annual passholder at Disneyland, and when I have a case of the f*ck-its, I love to head to Anaheim and be around happy people, fun rides and childhood nostalgia. Should I be unable to make the drive up, I'll head out with my camera to a favorite haunt and take photos.
- Exercise. Sometimes getting a good sweat on can seemingly fix the world. I come up with some of my best ideas on beach or trail walks; for stress relief, I love boxing or doing one of the Insanity DVDs followed by yoga.
- Drink. Not enough to get a hangover, and certainly not enough to get sloppy. Just a few beers or a couple glasses of wine with friends is usually enough to snap me out of a funk.
- Sleep. If I'm powering out work late at night and I suddenly hit a wall, I listen to my body and head to bed.
Do you ever get a case of the f*ck-its? How do you cure it?